With fall knocking on the door, it is the perfect time to turn off the AC and open the windows to let the cool, crisp autumn breeze make its way through your home. As you reach down to unlatch the window pane, you may notice that the dirt and grime from seasons past have made themselves comfortable in the window tracks. Before you let the gentle wind whirl the dust and debris hiding along the base of the window into your home, it’s time to get down to business and get the tracks sparkling clean. We reached out to our housekeeping experts to learn some tricks of the trade that’ll help you remove window track grime with ease.
What you’ll need:
- Vacuum with hose attachment or handheld vacuum
- Baking soda
- Old toothbrush
- Cotton swabs
- Paper towels
- Butter knife
- 2 microfiber cleaning cloths
- Warm water
How to get the grime and dirt out:
- Start by using the hose attachment of the vacuum to remove all large and loose debris from the window track.
- For tough, stuck on dirt, sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda on the areas, then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar and let it sit for five minutes or until the baking soda stops fizzing.
- Using the toothbrush, begin working the dirt to the center of the track. Use the cotton swabs to clean tight corners or areas the toothbrush cannot reach.
- Use paper towels to pick up the dirt and soak up the remaining vinegar.
- Dampen one of the microfiber cloths in the warm water, wring it out, wrap it around the butter knife, and run it down the tracks to capture any stuck-on debris. Repeat this process as needed.
- Unwrap the damp cloth and scrub the area again.
- With the second, dry cloth, wipe down the window track, making sure all the water is absorbed and dried thoroughly.
Preventive maintenance tips:
- Perform a deep clean of your window tracks, as outlined above, at least twice a year.
- Remember to clean the vertical tracks as well as the bottom tracks.
- During your normal cleaning routine, quickly wipe down the window tracks with a microfiber cloth. This will help maintain cleaner tracks and make it easier when it’s time to do a deep clean.