Refrigerators and microwaves are some of the most used kitchen appliances, which means they’re likely to get dirty over time. When spills, stuck-on food, and splatters decorate the interior, you’ll need to do a thorough cleaning to keep things looking spick-and-span.
Here is what you’ll need to tackle this project:
- Microfiber cleaning cloths or paper towels
- All purpose cleaner (see recipe below for homemade cleaner)
- Spray bottle
- Non-scratch sponge
- Dishwashing soap
- Juice of one lemon
- Warm water
Ingredients for All Purpose Cleaner:
- ¾ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Mix the vinegar and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl. Once the baking soda has dissolved add the mixture into a spray bottle.
Steps for cleaning the refrigerator:
- Put on a pair of cleaning gloves.
- Clear off the top and outside of the refrigerator— removing any magnets or clutter.
- Wipe down the refrigerator from top to bottom with a microfiber cloth and all purpose cleaner. Be sure to focus specifically on high touch areas such as the handles and ice dispenser.
- If you have stainless steel appliances, finish the outside by polishing it with a stainless steel wipe for added shine.
- Once the outside is clean, tackle the inside. Remove any expired or old food and recycle, compost, and throw away items as needed.
- Then, remove all food and set aside in a cool place.
- Take out all the bins, drawers, ice trays, and shelves.
- Using your all purpose cleaner, spray the inside and allow to soak while you clean the drawers and shelves.
- Using a microfiber cloth or non-scratch sponge, dishwashing soap, and warm water clean the inside pieces of the refrigerator and dry.
- Next, clean the inside of your refrigerator from top to bottom using either a sponge or microfiber cloth. For hard, stuck-on food, use the sponge to scrub the spots.
- Thoroughly dry the inside with a clean, dry microfiber cloth, and replace the bins, drawers, ice trays, and shelves.
- Remove gloves and wash hands.
- Organize and add the food back into the refrigerator.
Steps for cleaning the microwave:
- Put on a pair of cleaning gloves, spray the outside of the microwave with all purpose cleaner, and wipe it down from top to bottom with a microfiber cloth. Focus on the buttons and handles to remove any stuck-on food particles or stains.
- Open the microwave and remove the turntable plate, support roller ring, and turntable motor hub.
- Spray the inside with all purpose cleaner and allow to soak for a few minutes.
- For tough, stuck on food, fill a microwavable bowl with warm water and the juice of one lemon. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat for two to three minutes or until the water starts to boil.
- While the solution soaks, clean the turntable, roller ring, and motor hub with warm water and dishwashing soap; then dry.
- Once complete, remove the bowl of lemon water and thoroughly wipe the inside from top to bottom. Be sure to clean the entire cooking chamber including internal air vents, the top and side walls, and door jams.
- Dry the inside with a clean, dry microfiber cloth.
- Replace the turntable , remove gloves, and wash your hands.