You have company coming for an extended visit and you want them to feel comfortable in your home. One way of doing that is creating an ambiance that feels as luxurious as a five-star hotel. It all starts with an exceptionally clean guest room of course, but something that’ll catch their eye when they set down their luggage and settle in is a well-made bed. Our hospitality experts share their insider tips for how to beautifully make up a bed.
Steps for making your bed like a hotel:
- Remove all used linens from the bed, including the bedspread or duvet, sheets, and pillowcases.
- Start with a fresh set of linens. If possible, have them pressed to remove any wrinkles.
- Assemble the bed beginning with the fitted sheet. Make sure the sheet is pulled tightly around all corners and fully covers the mattress; tug to remove wrinkles.
- Unfold the flat sheet and lay it across the bed, allowing it to hang evenly around the bed.
- Slightly lift the mattress and tuck the hanging linen along the foot of the bed.
- On the corners of the bed, grab hold of the excess linen and lift it on top of the mattress. Holding the linen and forming a 45-degree angle, tuck it along the side of the mattress. Then, fold the edge of the sheet downward and tuck it under the corner of the mattress creating a hospital corner. Repeat on the other side.
- Lay the bedspread or comforter across the bed making sure all the edges are hanging evenly.
- If you have a duvet cover, assemble by turning it inside out and finding the corners of the cover and match them with the corners of the insert. Secure the cover to the corners of the duvet. Once this is complete, turn the cover back out so that the insert is now inside the cover.
- Pull the pillowcases over the pillows and fluff.
- Assemble the pillows starting with the largest pillows closest to the headboard.