Home ownership comes with a lot of responsibility and work. Just like with a car, your house needs regular maintenance and upkeep for everything to continue to run efficiently. By keeping a maintenance checklist, you’ll know which tasks need to be completed on a monthly, quarterly, biannual, and seasonal basis. Although the list of home maintenance repairs and inspections may seem daunting at first, breaking it into these categories will allow for an easier assessment of your home’s needs throughout the year.
Be sure to download and print our Home Maintenance Checklist to stay on top of your home's routine upkeep.
Home Maintenance Checklist
- Examine air filters and replace as needed.
- Clean and safely remove debris from kitchen garbage disposal.
- Clean range hood filters.
- Check dryer vent and clean thoroughly to prevent accidental fire.
- Inspect fire extinguishers.
- Test smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Check your garage door auto-reverse and repair if it is not working properly.
- Examine water softener system and add salt if needed.
- Deep clean your home. Here is a list of cleaning essentials that are helpful to have on hand to tackle the task.
- Inspect and vacuum refrigerator coils.
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon dioxide detectors if needed.
Annually (Grouped by Season)
- Check all electrical and GFCI outlets. If the outlets are not working properly, hire a professional to address the problem.
- Tighten loose screws on handles, door knobs, windows, etc. This will help keep cold air and moisture from entering into your home.
- Clean shower heads to remove built-up sediment.
- Inspect caulking around bathtubs, showers, and faucets; repair as needed.
- Inspect the basement and other storage areas and clean efficiently.
- Check for and remove ice dams and icicles from roofs and gutters as they can be hazardous if they fall.
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters to prevent water build up.
- Get your air conditioning system serviced.
- Replace damaged window screens.
- Remove dead plants and clean out flower beds.
- Trim tree limbs and make sure they are not interfering with electrical lines.
- Examine roof for damage or leaks.
- Check exterior drainage systems.
- Deep clean the garage and properly dispose of materials that are no longer needed.
- Inspect all plumbing throughout the house to make sure water isn’t continuously running and causing environmental waste.
- Clean aerators on faucets to help prevent sediment from forming.
- Properly take care of insect problems.
- Pressure wash and repair decks and patios as needed.
- Examine tile grout in the kitchen and bathroom and repair as needed.
- Get the chimney swept and cleaned by a professional company.
- Prepare heating system for winter and have it inspected by a professional.
- Check outside pavement for cracks and reseal as needed.
- Drain outdoor water faucets and cover exterior pipes.
- Remove sediment from your hot water heater.
Download and print our Home Maintenance Checklist.